Monday, May 4, 2009

Mile 79

Whew what an exciting trip so far. Levated and I are averaging about 10 miles a day! Pretty amazing considering I had about 3 weeks training.

Let's see some pretty crazy stuff has happened so far. After we left mountain crossings we were delighted to get our first round of trail magic at the hogpen gap parking lot! Someone left 2 coolers with chips, drinks, even purell for hikers to refill. It was like christmas in Apr. From there we ran up rocky mountain jacked on soda and our favorite elixer from rei. Check my supply list for link. We then found our way up to a ridge on laurel gap and spent the night. It was a great campsite with not many bugs or mice. I don't care what anyone says the mice are a bigger threat here than the bears.

The next day we headed off to the cheese factory, which we called the cheesecake factory from having that name branded in my brain over and over. As we got close to our campsite, levated was away ahead of me, 2 jeeps pulled up on a old service road I was crossing. There was a young kid who yelled out to me he was "chief smoke-em-lot" and he brings peace offering of sativa. Lol... I couldn't make this up if I tried. Needless to say I made a few new friends in the middle of the chattahoochee.

We had a lot of trouble with the PCT bear hang that night. Small rope is not ideal, something a little bigger is needed. I spent a lot of the night hearing critters and thinking bears were coming for our low hanging food. Ah well better safe than sorry!

The next day we had big ambitions of hitting the blueberry patch hostel. Unfortunately by the time we made it 11 miles we had been beaten up. I had a spill on a descent and jammed my knee a bit. We stayed the night at deep gap shelter up in the rafters. First off their were mice as soon as the sun went down. What happened next was a page out of a really cheesey horror novel. We were sleeping away and levated rolled over and a damn mouse ran out and bit him on his finger, right in the middle of his pinkie! It ran off but not untill L screamed!

He didn't sleep much after that but when we awoke we got surprise #2. Check out the pic of the platypus below! L almost drank out of it too!!!! Ewwwwww!!!! I said he sorta looks like hans solo in carbonite.

As much as we hate to not leave a trace we decided the platy was a good trap 4 the shelter and left it underneath to catch some more. We the hiked the 6 miles to the road and tried to hitch to the blueberry patch hostel. Given we were 2 ragtag punks hitchin we had to walk the 3 miles to the shelter. Lucky 4 us there was 1 last bunk (we shared it, but L slept on the floor anyways).

Let me make this clear the blueberry patch is unbeleivably awesome. Not only is it beutiful but its run by the nicest couple you'd ever meet. Plus the have donkeys!

In the mornin we awoke (after gruelling through a guys name crawled deafwning snores) to an AMAZING breakfast of sausage, eggs, pancakes and super awesome blueberry pancakes. I mean it they ruled every blueberry pancake before it.

We were refreshed and ready to hit the trail and that we did. We hit the nc border and never looked back. Our destination muskrat creek shelter.

And that is were I write you now. Camped up on the ridge it started pouring, killing my chances for a cowboy steak tonight. L seems to be unfortunate enough to have also have gotten a infestation of no seem ums in his pack and tent. I should prob go and help him get it fixed.

Check next post for more pics
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

  1. Chief-Smokem-Lot is from my tribe. He's pretty cool, but the most Cherokee thing about him is his Jeep. Still pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why no close up pics of Levitatian? I want to see what he looks like before the eggs from those no-see-ums under his skin erupt and turn him into a mutant. How about a nice pic before then??

    ReplyDelete