Monday, April 20, 2009

Clothes

Initial Thoughts: Ok so here is where I think alot of people can cut back on weight. First off, no cotton. None... at.... all.. I know I know you have this cute little shirt you like to wear, or maybe some pants that will just look devine out on the trail. NOPE. Get gear that wicks sweat away from you. More importantly get gear that can dry quick. Nothing sucks more than to be wet for awhile after a rainstorm. When that sun hits, you should be dry in a matter of minutes, not hours.

If you find you have a rub going on inbetween your legs (flat footed people like myself most likely do), then grab some Stride Shorts I just use these at my undies...

1 maybe 2 lightweight and medium weight long undies will do. If wintertime, substitute the light for heavy.

Golite also makes a great Silk Shirt. This is perfect for those days it might be a little chilly, but you still want alot of airflow to cool you down hiking. Of course add in a midweight long sleeve for those cold nights.

Raingear is essential and definetly person preferance. I found the Reed Pants went a long way as far as comfort and most important, weight. At 5 oz I dare anyone to find something lighter at REI.

My Jacket was something I already had, a combined outter shell (waterproof) and a inner synthetic liner. Nice for when its really cold and rainy, and the outter shell can be unzipped to use just as a rainjacket. If you look around, their are many different combos on the jacket, and you can probably save a little weight here as well.

Finally the most important item of all, Boots. I grabbed a pair of OBOZ from REI and the moment I put them on I fell in love. Alot of lightweight hikers use trail shoes, and I probably would as well if it werent for the flat feet I have. Since I need support, and more importantly a shoe that won't roll over, this boot is just fantastic. Interestingly enough the makers are the founders of Bass who sold it quite awhile later and are now staring OBOZ. For my money, these boots are solidly built, attention to detail is obvious (no silly back heel seam) and they really do hold up.

Since I am flat footed I also reccomend trying the superfeet system at REI. I got a pair of the yellow inserts and had a really awesome salesgirl trim them down for me. I have to say superfeet are definetly the way to go for anyone, ESPECIALLY us flat footed bunch.

2 comments:

  1. What would Jesus wear if HE was hiking the Appalachian Trail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.... I am thinking nails?

    Ok bad taste...

    ReplyDelete