Monday, April 20, 2009

Gear

Initial Thoughts: Your gear list is probably where you can make the most adjustments. My basic items:

hurricane matchs
head lamp
trash bags
ziploc bags (diff sizes)
lighter
rope (small and larger)
Comp/Map
Space Blanket
flint
Camp Towel

Are probably all easily accesible and there isn't a whole lot of play here for OZ savings. I read a few people use there bandana to dry off, instead of a packtowel, but for the weight a high absorbant towel can have who cares.. Also think hard about that big fancy compass. Do you really need it? I grabbed a simple compass/thermometer combo, and I am trained to use a compass! Your on a trail and unless you plan on venturing off that for a ways, don't buy the compass thats 7 ounces.

Knife
2 Poles
Blackberry + Extra Batt + Extra Gig + charger
Camp Footwear
Fill/Hook
earphones (sports)

These items above really afford you the best savings. Knife wise, a tiny swiss army knife will probably suit you just fine. I insead grabbed a Navy Seal knife fixed blade. I find for the extra oz's, I am adding an Ax to my backpack. Use a decent sized hard branch and bang on the back of the knife into v shapes on wood and your cutting away in no time. Don't think you can be Paul Bunion with this technique, but if you need to make a brace or a splint fast, here you go.

The filament/hook is really just for fun. I am going to try using my poles as a fishin rod. Well see how this works out.

As far as poles, no they are NOT all equal. The goassamar bay poles have nice CORK handles so when you sweat you won't be sliding all over your stuff. Plus they weight 7 ozs all together. Its like holding feathers.

The camp footwear is from an article I saw online Camp Shoes. I modified them a bit to remove the annoying flip flop feel and just have 2 straps running paralell across the shoe. Lets see how these work!

2 comments:

  1. I went in the woods once and saw two squirrels doing it. OMG! I ran and screamed.
    Hopefully those two squirrels haven't made it over there and plan on doing it on your new tent. Why do animals have to be so unsanitary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't beleivce them. How UNCOOTHE!! Or better yet, UNCOON!

    Esh....

    ReplyDelete