Monday, April 20, 2009

First Aid

Initial Thoughts: First aid is really up to you as far as how much you bring. I opt to bring a little more than most maybe, for the shear fact I have issues with my feet due to be flat footed. Moleskin is a must for me, and alot of it. Also Zinc Oxide tape is best used to prevent blisters.

I don't think skimping on a few bandages or even a Ace bandage is a good idea. Maybe you are superman and never get hurt on the trail. If your clutsy like me, and every moment is close to near fatality, then opt for what you need and can use.

Also this goes without saying take sometime to learn how to treat yourself. If your in the backcountry and you break an ankle, now what? You going to lie their till someone helps you? Or can you bandage it up as best as possible and make a rudamentary crutch from your poles and some lashings of branches? Take a little time before you go and see about wilderness first aid or survival classes in your area. It will go a long way, trust me.

2 comments:

  1. What does your username VapeHitta mean? Is that a type of approved hiking gear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably part of the first aid kit, though I don't see a description anywhere.

    ReplyDelete